Can you use an elliptical machine while pregnant? Many expectant women ask this question when deciding whether or not to use elliptical machines. That’s because they worry about the safety of their unborn babies. Elliptical machines enable you to perform cardiovascular workouts. That allows you to tone muscles, for example, by simulating natural movements such as running or walking.
Expectant women can use them as they are safe when compared to using equipment that produces bouncing effects. They exert minimum stress on your muscles and joints, which makes them suitable for workouts. However, you should consider the following factors.
- Make sure you know how to use your elliptical machine. That ensures you protect your pregnancy. Check out whether your device has moving handlebars or not.
- You should make sure that you grip the moving or stationary handlebars for better body support. That’s because pregnancy causes your body balance to be less stable.
- Make sure you use the elliptical machines automatic controls. That enables you to adjust the intensity and resistance of your workouts.
- If you are using digital ones, ensure that you use their control panel to check your speed, distance, time, calories burned and also your heart rate.
How to Use Them While Pregnant
- You should maintain the correct posture when using your elliptical machine. Consider wearing loose or light clothing. That prevents stress on your body and the foetus.
- You should also drink enough water as you exercise. That allows you to stay hydrated.
- Start with short training sessions, for example, 10-15 minutes until you reach sessions that can last up to 30 minutes. That enables your body to adapt to your exercises.
Benefits of Using Elliptical Machine While Pregnant
- They allow you to stay fit. That’s because they burn excess calories that lead to weight gain.
- They prevent back pain as a result of the extra weight caused by pregnancy. Keep in mind that as your pregnancy grows, it also adds weight to your body.
- They enable you to increase the body’s energy levels. That’s because exercises make your body burn calories, which releases sugar into your blood.
- They also enable you to increase your body stamina as you prepare for labour.
What to Look Out For
- Stop exercising if you experience headaches or pain. That’s because these are danger signals that your body is responding negatively.
- You should also stop if you fail to speak as usual.
- Make sure you consult your physician before starting any training exercises while pregnant.
- Depending on your type of elliptical machine, avoid lifting it for transporting or storing. That’s because lifting weights can be harmful to your pregnancy.
- Consider using models with wheels. That enables you to push them easily.
- Avoid exercises that produce high impact movements. That ensures you protect your pregnancy.
Using elliptical machines during your pregnancy should be easier by following the above guide. Remember to consult your doctor before starting any exercise activities. You should also check your budget estimates before purchasing them.